Saturday, February 2, 2008

Wanting Out

I wish I had a life like everyone else that don’t have to live in East St. Louis. All the neighboring towns and cities ain’t anything like what we have here. They even try to cut us off from their world. That hurts cuz we are people too. Many of us children didn’t choose to be born in this situation. We can’t help it. We have been born into a dangerous polluted city and not no one seems to care.
Every day it smells like nasty sewage outside. It makes me not even what to step outside of my house for one second. Not to mention, how dangerous it is down here. Every night I here guns going off and it makes me think is that someone I knew being killed. There is so much crime it makes me nervous to be outside by myself at any time. Just last week my best friend was outside by herself at night playing and was killed. Someone stranger picked her up off the street and she was never heard from again, til they found her body laying in a pile of trash. I don’t want that to be me. I want outta here! People that are stuck here in East St. Louis their whole life end up lousy and worthless.
But getting outta here ain’t as easy as it seems. To get outta here I need a education. That ain’t something that comes easy around here. I’m wanting to learn but the school conditions stop that. The building are in terrible shape. We don’t have enough teachers to teach all the children. My class sizes are big. Most of the time when we have school we don’t learn nothing. We sit around and talk about random stuff and waste the whole day just like that. The classes that the teachers actually teach don’t have the supplies for all the children. If I had a choice I would leave this school and go to some other place. A place that acts like they care about teaching the kids. That would be a awesome dream. If I got out of here and got a education I could go on to college. And if I got to college then I wouldn’t have to live in this awful town all my life. I could make something of myself. I wouldn’t have to settle for whatever this place is making me be.
I hope that a miracle happens and I get outta here. Til then, if that happens, I’ll continue going to school, if that’s what you really call it, and trying to get a education. I just gotta make the best of the situation I have been put in. But if I do get out, I’m never coming back. I want to have children and have them be able to live a life that is nothing like mine. I want them to go to school that values education and come literate. That what would make me happy. I want to be one of the few who are able to make it out of this ridiculous place some call a town. I hate my life the way it is. Not one person should have to live this way.
But all of that is a dream. Something I want to badly and hope I get a chance to come true. That is what I’m gonna work towards the rest of the time I’m stuck here. Hopefully between my hope and determination I will be outta here and able to put this place behind me.

1 comment:

Colleen Vallely said...

I like how you really got in the point of view of a child with occasional grammar errors. I really felt like you were a kid in East Saint Louis, living through all that pollution and want to make something of yourself. I liked how you took the other route. You know what's in the outside world and want to get there and become prosperous instead of just dealing with your birth situation of living in East Saint Louis.