Sunday, February 17, 2008

College Independence

College is a new beginning for many and with the new beginning comes much more responsibility. Not only are most people living on their own for the first time but also must take care of other everyday things that they may not of with their family. When I visit home after being in college for more than half a year now I can tell the difference in how I am looked at. My parents no longer see me as dependent on them as I used to be and I no longer feel like I need them as much. When we talk I feel they are starting to see me more as an equal instead of one of their kids. Dee did not use her sense of education in the same way as I do. When she would be come after being in school, her attitude would be stuck up and as if everything was hers. In a way she seemed to look down on the other members of her family when compared to herself. When I am at home, I would never think of putting myself above anyone in my family. Although neither of my parents received a full college education, I still think I could learn much more from them than they could from me.
Every few weeks to a month I visit home to see how things are going. Since I only live about an hour away its no problem getting a ride to and from. Each time I visit though I get a different feeling of who I am. When I am at home my parents are glad to see me but also expect that I will not be asking them to do things for me. When I am treated like this I can feel how I am becoming more and more independent as a person. I am expected to be able to do things on my own and not to be creating a hassle that they do not need. I expect that each time Dee goes home she expects everything to be the same. She would expect the same treatment and for everyone to stop what they may be doing in their lives and help her.
Independence is more than just doing your own laundry or shopping. It is a feeling that you are no longer depending on others. It is being proud that you can do what may be best for you and make you the best person you can be. The more independent you become, the less people think they will have to do that would be expected of them.

No comments: