Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Super Bowl's Commercialpalooza

The Patriots vs. the Giants was the most watched super bowl ever. They pulled in an average of 97.5 million viewers. I always enjoy watching the super bowl, not always because I like the teams playing but because I enjoy the commercials. But when viewing these commercials I think; do they really have an effect on me, do they really work? I should hope so considering advertisers spend $3 million for 30 seconds. Advertisers shell out all that they’ve got in an attempt to make the most audiences appeasing commercial possible. Whether it is a well known actor such as Will Ferrell talking about his favorite brew or a baby talking about e-trade, they are all trying to persuade people to buy something.

Though I did find some of these commercials somewhat entertaining they did not do as much as for me as years past. But if I had to choose one out of the 36 commercials for my favorite I would have to go with the one for Diet Pepsi Max with everyone falling asleep. The commercial starts off with the theme song from “The Night at The Roxbury’s” playing while everyone from sushi chef’s to business men fall asleep on the job while doing the ever so famous head jerk. Once everyone in the commercial starts drinking Pepsi they finally wake up. To finish things off they had an appearance by Chris Kattan at the end from the movie “The Night at The Roxbury’s” which made for a great finish.

This commercial had several persuasive aspects to it. It had very vibrant music and several celebrities to help grab the viewer’s attention, not to mention how funny I found it. This commercial starts out very funny which grabs the attention of the viewer and then finishes off by showing how refreshing drinking Pepsi is. Once the commercial has you glued to the screen it finishes off by making you drool over the product. They did a good job at making their audience crave their product.

All and all I did enjoy watching the super bowl. I did find that the commercials where mediocre yet somewhat entertaining. Many of them did a good job of persuading people to do what they want. But the thing that made this game entertaining for me was just that, the game. Let’s face it, the fourth quarter of this game was awesome; I mean who really wanted to the Patriots to win?

No comments: