I like the way peer review days work now, however if I was in charge of peer review there are several things that I would change. First of all, I like that we switch our papers with more than one person because it allows each student to get different opinions on the overall quality of their paper; however, I think it is important that we switch papers with than more than three people. Our 50 minute class allows us time to get into bigger groups and review a greater number of papers. Also, the sheets that we are given at the beginning of the class are a helpful guide to allow each student to find specific aspects of the paper to review. But I think it is important to give a personal take on the on these sheets and, therefore, believe it is necessary for each student to come up with a few questions that they want their reviewer to answer regarding their paper. In addition, I would make a rule that students are not allowed to cross words or phrases out of the papers they review, only offer suggestions using side or endnotes. This is because I know that I get extremely frustrated when other students make corrections that I do not believe enhance my paper. Finally, I would allow time at the end of class for students to speak with the students who reviewed their papers in case they had any additional comments to make about their papers.
If I were to design a peer review class I would make the desks into the shape of a circle in order for papers to be easily traded among students. I would then tell the students to get into groups of five or six and sit next to those people in the circle. I would also have a timer which would allow students to get ten minutes on each paper they were reviewing. I think this would make students review more efficiently and it would also allow more papers to get reviewed. Also, I would give each student a red pen to use while reviewing in order for comments to be easily read throughout the paper. Furthermore, I would have each student write questions that they would like to be answered by their reviewers.
Overall, I think the way that peer review is run now is working well. It allows me to get insight on what my peers think of my paper and is a good way for me to see what others believe the strengths and weaknesses of my paper are. I think that with a few minor changes to the way peer review is already being run now would be extremely beneficial to each student.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment