Dee, a main character in “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker, walks out on her family in order to find herself. She seeks independence and wants to be an individual not associated with her family. She is determined to become such an individual. By going off to college she begins to see how other people live, and changes herself to fit in with these people. Dee completely changes, to the point where she does not fit in with her family. To me, this sense of independence is too far gone. Dee needs to effectively communicate with her family and still be proud to call them family.
During the first and second semesters of my freshman year, here at the University of Dayton, I have seen myself become more independent. I believe that as I go on through the next four years I will become even more independent. While I still live primarily off my parents, I am more responsible for almost every aspect of my life. Nothing is done for me, I have to plan out all of my activities, study for my tests efficiently, and more. I most motivate myself and stay focused on my school work, while balancing a job and other activities.
Although I am more independent I still remain in contact with my family. I talk to my parents several times a week, either in an e-mail or over the phone. I go home every couple of weeks, to visit with extended family and get away from the college life. I could not imagine living a live like Dee. I need to talk to my family and make sure they are doing ok. I am proud of my family and would never want to change it.
They say that college changes people. Dee fits this stereo type perfectly; I feel that I have changed also, but not drastically. My personality is the same; I just feel it has matured some. Dee, I feel, has done just the opposite. Her personality has changed, but she chose this. It was a choice that she made and most likely is pleased with. This is where we differ; I told myself that I did not want to change in college. I have seen many people who have and I do not want to be like them. I was dedicated to this decision.
Dee is gaining a different sense of independence. She wishes to be more independent then I do. I feel that it is important to maintain a strong relationship with family and friends. Dee feels that she needs to abandon her family. When she comes back to visit the family thinks of her as selfish and rude. I would feel extremely bad if my family ever felt that way. To me, Dee is the person I never want to become. College can make a person grow, but it should not change them unless it is to their benefit. Dee sees her changes as a benefit, but her family does not. I feel that if my family felt my changes were not benefiting me, then I would take a serious look at what I was doing, and possibly change myself back.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment