Peer Review is something that is essential during the writing process. It allows for students to receive extra feedback on their papers and helps them understand more of what they need to work and improve on. Any paper that is written for the first time is never a complete paper. There are always many things that can be corrected, such as grammatical errors, sentence structures and other things that teachers look for when submitting a paper for a grade. I am definitely in favor of peer review. Ever since I started writing papers, I always had the chance to get positive and negative feedback on all my papers. I feel that I learn more about my style of writing through other people getting the chance to read my papers and let me know what else I can expand on. Also, when proofreading my own papers, I always read them out loud to see if I can’t pick up any of my own mistakes and try to correct them.
There are many ways to design a peer review class. One way in which I think it would be beneficial to the students, would be to have them get in groups of four, no more and have them exchange papers and begin to read the first one they received. I would also have each peer reviewer fill out a sheet that had some of the main criteria that would be looked for in the paper. After the person is done reading the first paper, they would take the second one and so on and do the same thing with each paper. After everyone reads each other’s paper besides their own, they will then have enough information to correct the mistakes that were made and expand on sentences that might be awkward. The more feedback a person gets back on a paper, the more information they will have to complete the assignment. It is interesting however to see the many different responses that students write. The class is given the same description of how and what the paper should be about, but never are there papers with the exact same responses and information. I would just stick to the basics, without trying to get people confused or receive criticism about their papers. That would not be fair to the individual, because they would feel that their writing was not accurate and need much more concentration on.
Many people value peer review, while others do not take into consideration how much it can help them improve their own writing. Peer review is meant for people to receive feedback on their papers and not be hurt from the notes that are left on them. It should just be a way for people to get a better understanding of what they missed and how to correct their mistakes. It is the student’s decisions on how they want the peer review process run and to speak up if anything they do not like is being done. Peer review can only help when turning in a paper, because the more information a person gets out of this can help their grade drastically. I would rather receive an abundance of feedback, versus none at all, because then it would make me contemplate the grade I would receive on my paper.
Saturday, February 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment