College is every high school kids dream. You can choose if you go to your classes, do your homework, and when you go to bed. College is the place where most people find out what they are capable of. For Dee, it was a place where she decided to become a completely new person, a fresh start. Dee’s upbringing in a small town growing up on a farm to her transformation to a flashy dressing, confident girl with a man shows her drastic transformation and her desperation to become someone new. Dee changed her name to some crazy made up combination of several small syllables and words. By changing her name, she was trying to wash away her historical connection to her family. In “Everyday Use” by Alice Walker, Dee’s Mama explains why she was named “Dee”. Mama told Dee that her name had been in the family for generations. Dee’s Mama did not completely understand why Dee changed her name but she accepted it and tried to pronounce it correctly when Dee was there to visit.
Although I am in college, I am still proud of where I came from. My family has raised me to become the person I am, molding me all around from the style of my clothes to what food I like to eat. If I were to change my name as Dee did, I would never get rid of my last name, because my family is such a big part of my life. I am proud of my parents and I want to make them proud of me. Although I differ from Dee in the name change, I can relate to her love of independence. Dee has been literate her whole life and often read to her Mama when she was younger. This intelligence boosted Dee’s confidence and helped her get into college, unlike her Mama. I am proud of myself for getting into a good college and I like to work hard and see my results pay off. I think that Dee is the same way.
The only problem with Dee’s new independence is the way she treats her family when she returns. Dee’s reading to her mama and little sister, Maggie, when she was younger shows a strong relationship, a bond, they all shared. And because Dee read to Maggie, and Maggie was shy and awkward due to her burns while Dee was beautiful, Maggie admired her older sister. But when Dee returns she is disappointed. Dee thinks she deserves to have the quilts after they have been promised to Maggie because Dee had her chance to keep them, but said no. Mama is shocked by the way Dee is treating Maggie and herself and finally sticks up for Maggie by giving her the quilts Dee came back for.
Coming home from college with a big ego and a rude demeanor toward my family is something I would never try to do. I miss my family when I am away at school, and even though I enjoy being on my own and making my own decisions, it’s always nice to go home and be around the people that love you and you love back. It seems that when Dee came home, she lost the love for her family she used to have because she thought she had grown to be so much better than them. I think that Dee went about distancing herself from her family the wrong way. Speaking to her mama and sister the way she did was rude and hurtful. I am proud of family, and even when I feel independent, I know I can always count on my family.
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment