Friday, February 29, 2008

First Topic

My process for writing the argumentative paper and the literary analysis were for the most part the same, but with a few changes. When I write a paper I always have the same writing process; I just tweak it a little depending on the style of paper I am writing. I always start the writing process by doing what I feel is the most important step, understanding exactly what is being asked of me. I go over the assignment sheet numerous times to make sure I understand what I am going to be writing and what points I need to address.
After becoming familiar with the assignment, I always construct a thesis and rework it until I feel like I have something that I can base my whole paper around. Next, I do any research that needs to be done for this paper. For the argumentative paper I had to find an outside source to help make my argument stronger. It took some time to find a source I liked, but I was very content with the one I finally found. I did not have to do research for the literary analysis, but I did have to re-read “Everyday Use” numerous times to understand it completely. After researching or re-reading a text that I am using for my paper, I like to jump right in and start writing.
When I write I do not like to take breaks, I like to write for hours, until I feel like I have a good rough draft. After I finish writing my rough draft, I first edit my paper myself, before I have anyone else view it. After I have made my first edits, I like to have someone else review my work. It is very helpful that we have peer review in class. I find it very beneficial. After someone else edits my paper, I again edit it myself. I compare it to what the assignment was asking of me and make sure I covered everything. After I have done one last edit, I print it out and hand it in.
My literary analysis and my argumentative thesis were both written using the same writing process. I just had to do research and find a source to make my argument even stronger in my argumentative thesis and then became really well-versed in my literary analysis. I have been using this writing process since I can remember and feel most comfortable with it and do not see myself changing it in the future.

No comments: