Sunday, February 24, 2008

Argumentative assignment

I always love to receive comments on my papers, blogs, etc. whether from my professor or my peers. On my last paper, I felt that I was successful in conveying my argument for keeping the story in the Humanities based text. However, I feel that my thesis lead the paper off in the wrong way.
I specifically state in my first paragraph that there are problems within the community of East St. Louis that dealt with health, safety, education, and funding. I did not include these four topics in my thesis, and I feel that I should have so that my paper did not run off in the wrong direction. You specifically wrote the question if I could sharpen up my points so that I could connect it to my thesis, and that is what I plan to do in my revision. I found that my thesis was not in accords of where I thought my paper was going and should have included the four points previously listed. The whole paper is focused around those points, and each point has its own paragraph so it may be more proper to introduce that fact in the beginning paragraph even if I do not include it in my thesis.
I always feel that your comments are very concise and clear. If I happen to get the chance to revise an assignment I always follow your comments and try to pin point what is wrong and what I need to change. You make your comments very straight forward and not complicated which I like. I feel that when I have my peers review my papers that I am confused by what they mean or they give me too many options for changing a sentence structure or a single word of a sentence.
I tend to agree with your comments considering you are my professor, and I trust what you say is the right way to change something and I know if I ever have any questions that I would be able to confront you about them. I often pick and choose what to change since some aspects of my papers are more important than others, but I try to make everything precise. I always know that if I do not necessarily need to talk to you about a comment on my writing I can look it up myself in one of the textbooks. I never really used the books first semester, but I have been trying to take advantage of it more. I mean, if I own a book that is going to help me and improve my writing, why not use it?
I really appreciate all your comments because I realize the same mistakes I make in my writing because then in future assignments I can catch myself and not make the same mistakes.

No comments: