As an individual, independence has become something that I am starting to cherish more and more. At home I was always pretty independent and did not really have to rely on other people to tell me what to do. The transition from high school to living at home and going to living in a dorm room at college has its pluses and minuses. I have always been known by my teachers as independent. I believe in college I can be even more independent, because being on your own does require more independence anyways. I am always able to do what I want, even though my roommate is in the room. Normally, after classes are done for the day, I am able to nap and then get my homework done that will be due the next day. That is something that I feel I am really independent with. Homework is and has always been my number one priority when it comes time to school. However, at home I was still able to maintain good independence. If something was ever wrong, I would go in my room by myself and just concentrate and maybe even listen to music. Independence is something to acknowledge, because as a person you have to be able to rely on yourself and not always look to other people for answers. Even when it came to school, I also always wanted to work on worksheets or projects on my own. I felt that I would get more accomplished and that I would do the assignment how I wanted. If I was working in a group, I would see that I would get a lower grade than had I done it by myself.
Dee’s independence is somewhat close to mine, but not in the sense that she does not accept the fact that her family does not understand their heritage as well as she does. I also would not change my name, because I feel the name that I was given at birth should always remain my name. In one sense, that does make Dee independent and almost “away” from her family. They would not recognize her by hearing her name, but seeing who she is would be easier for them. When she went to college, she became more independent just being away from her family and home. Everyone has to have a sense of independence, because once again no one can rely on another person. Each person has to be their own self as an individual and be able to make their own assumptions, without other people’s answers. By Dee changing her style, along with her name made her not the same person she was. It may be boring, but changing a name can have an impact on the person. As far as style goes, that is in fact being more independent, because Dee did that since it was an upgrade from how she lived when she was at home. I also in fact have changed my style in some way. Normally, I try to keep updated with what is “in.” I like wearing new outfits and other accessories to not only stay in style, but also just look somewhat fashionable.
Independence is something that can only be changed by us. No one else can change anything about us as far as how we look, how we dress, etc. As far as college goes, the majority of independence is gained here at this stage in our lives. We are not only adjusting to a new setting, but also the environment around us, such as having a roommate, being away from home and family and learning to interact with different people. Independence does not always have to just a certain individual. Sometimes it may contain a few people working together, but doing their own share of the project or task. Whether working alone or working together, there is a certain level of independence that is required. I feel that Dee’s independence resembles somewhat my own independence. We both share some of the same qualities, but I feel that she is just a tad more high maintenance than I am. I have always loved my independence and I will continue to use that independence whenever and wherever it is needed.
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment