Wednesday, February 13, 2008

My Independence vs. Dee's

Before I came to college, I was not a very independent person. I relied heavily on my mom to do everything for me. Whether, it was cooking me dinner, washing my clothes, or driving me to a friend’s house-my mom was my go to guy. However, this luxury was abruptly taken from me when I came to college. For the first three weeks at college my life was a mess. I had no one to wake me up for my classes, so I would frequently miss them. I had no one to wash my clothes so I had to wear dirty ones. My room was a mess because there was no one there to clean it. Overall, I was very frustrated and missed my old comfortable lifestyle. However, there were some advantages. For example, for the first time in my life I could do pretty much anything that I wanted. I could come home as late as I wanted, I could go to bed at anytime of the day, I had a place to exercise that was right across the street, and I could eat at anytime of the day. With all these new opportunities I took full advantage of this new independence. Eventually, I thankfully got used to my new lifestyle and learned to manage schoolwork, athletics, social life and family life. As a result, I have a healthy and balanced way of life.
In comparison to Dee, I feel that my independence is more of a lifestyle alteration and hers is an identity alteration. When Dee came back to meet with her mom and her sister she was a different person. She had changed her name and she was claiming to care for things that she had never cared for in the past. Dee also acted superior to her family members because she knew things that they did not. For example, Dee claimed that her sister Maggie did not understand their family’s heritage. Overall, Dee’s independence changed her personality and my independence just changed my daily routines.

No comments: