A major part of going to college is finally getting your independence from your parents. College involves whole new different experiences from high school where you get have total responsibility for getting assignments done on time as well as cleaning your room and other such things. When Dee goes to college she becomes an educated person and becomes very different from her family. College is where individuals mature and become who they will be the rest of your life. After going to college, there is a level in which you are supposed to act and communicate with other people. Dee also showed that when she went to college she changed into a more developed person and her family could tell she was more educated than they were.
In the story, Dee is a very independent person that neglects her family because her family cannot afford the style of living she has. Her family is poor and she just wants all these expensive nice things and her family could just not provide them for her. Dee also believes that her family is holding her back from reaching her full potential and being successful. She has strong independence and perseverance to grow up poor and still be able to go to college and succeed.
Me personally, I believe that I do have a sense of independence but not as much as Dee. I love my family and they are involved in my life, unlike Dee which basically deserted her family. Also, in college I think I have done well being responsible and independent. I go to class every day; I do mostly all of my homework, while still playing soccer and being so busy all the time. I believe this shows independence because I do not rely on other people to do my work for me nor do I need my parents here to keep me on schedule. In high school, my parents would have to wake me up every day in order for me to make it to school on time, however here I get up on my own without a problem. Dee is more independent in excluding her family, while I still include my family but I do not need them to always be there and tell me what to do. College is full of good and bad decisions and to be successful, the good must outweigh the bad. Everyone makes mistakes, but as long as you fix them before it’s too late and make a conscious effort to change, you will be a successful person and have a good life. Dee made a good decision in going to college and aspiring to do something with her life, but she made a bad decision by almost completely shutting her family out of her life. I have set many goals to achieve throughout my college career and I will succeed in all of them, just like Dee who set goals and achieved them by going to college and becoming successful.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment