Sunday, February 17, 2008

Independence

The idea of independence is defined by the person and the context that surrounds it.

Independence is defined by Webster as the quality or state of being independent. Independent is defined as not subject to control by others or self-governing.

Dee in the story has gained her independence when she went to college and was around others. I have also been gaining my own experience when I went to college. Dee went home and began by rejecting some of her family values and standards. When I return home however since I only live about twenty minutes away I am home often I accept and enter back into my family. Dee didn’t want to be part of her family since she saw that it was hurting her independence from them. Dee tried to be as different from them. Even now that I feel more independence from my family, I don’t find the need to reject my family since I feel that I belong. My family is a huge part of my identity and I feel they are what help me to be Independent. You can’t just wake up and be independent it is something that is gained over time. When Dee does this all see is doing is gaining a kind of false independent from her family and becoming dependent on her friends and social life.

As I have said before independence is something that you gain over time. When I first went to college I felt like there was something missing and lost my way a little bit. Since without the guiding knowledge and hand of my family, it was hard. Overtime, however I began to gain my own sense of independence and was alright without my family. This caused me to stop calling my family all the time and always checking in with them. My mother wasn’t so happy with this change and it caused many arguments to happen. This however soon passed when my mother believed that this was part of me becoming more independent. I still go home on weeks but my lifestyle at home has change since college has started. There isn’t as much checking in with my mother as there was when I was still in college. My mother doesn’t assume that I am eating dinner and I have to tell her that I am. This change fits my new level of independence just fine and I have learned to deal with the changes. Even when I am at college there is more of a independence from a social and friend lifestyle. I don’t need people always around me from me to whole since I spend most of my time doing homework. My school life has become my main focus in life.

You can never be truly independent from everything since you must be at some point be independent on something. I may be independent from my family but my life right now is controlled by my school life. If you were able to be independent from everything you would have to just exist and nothing more.

No comments: