Monday, February 25, 2008

The Right Writing Process for Me!

My Writing Process for the argumentative paper, and all papers I write, consists of a step by step process. I write best when I am not under pressure, and I personally know that writing a paper takes a long time. Therefore, I try to begin my papers in advance, and I plan for time to revise.
I typically begin each paper with a quick free write. I analyze the prompt and more or less dissect each question that is being asked. I want to make sure that I grasp a full understanding of the purpose, and I want to make sure that I am addressing the correct audience. During this time I usually underline key words and highlight phrases that stand out. This helps me to stay focused and remain on track. Next, I just make a list of immediate ideas that come to my head. This is not a very organized way of thinking, but it helps me to explore my options.
After I have my list made, I often consider my options. Once I decide upon a direction for my paper, I usual look for more information. During this step, I typically refer back to the text. I find it helpful to reread the piece of work so that the author’s ideas are fresh and tangible. Also, with the prompt in mind, I begin to highlight passages that could be useful later.
Next, I make a detailed outline. This helps to visualize my ideas in a more concrete, orderly manner. I enjoy this step because it really helps me begin to see how my paper will fit together. During this time, I can create my thesis and occasionally my topic sentences. This way, I can clearly identify how many body paragraphs will be needed in the paper.
Once I have a clearly defined outline, I just write. Usually, I try to do it all in one day. I write from introduction to conclusion, taking occasional breaks. This way my ideas remain fresh in my mind and I am aware of what information I wrote in the previous paragraphs. This helps me to eliminate pointless repetition and to remain focused. I try to cautiously incorporate quotes and sentence variety.
After I have completed the first draft of my paper, I still have a long way to go. I typically construct about three drafts, simply because I consider the revision process one of the most crucial steps. I usually edit my paper orally and visit the Write Place for additional assistance. I like having the time to revise, for I work best when I am not stressed and realize I have plenty of time for improvement. Ultimately, I complete my last revision, construct my works cited, and hand the paper in.
My writing process is specifically customized to my writing needs, but I think it has proved beneficial. I force myself to start early, only because writing is not something that I can do under time constraints. I do not think that my writing process will change much in the future, only because it seems to work for me. I incorporate a variety of writing strategies and attempt to produce a strong paper. I like it because it is easily adaptable and I can apply it to various works. Essentially, I feel all papers can be approached with a similar writing process. However, if I need to alter my process, the task is very feasible and I can implement change. Some papers require more reading and research, while others require more creativity!

No comments: