I went back home this weekend. It was a rude awakening to how backwards the town and my family are. They cannot see things that are just so out in the real world. I cannot believe that Mamma has yet to learn to read. So, I showed up in mid afternoon, Mamma and Maggie were outside in the front yard. They were dressed like they did not care what anyone thought of them. I think that they could dress with a little more class. I got some great pictures of Mamma and the house though Maggie would not get in the pictures. She just hides behind Mamma. Maggie is still very timid and does not like to look at people. I introduced my boyfriend to Mamma and Maggie. They do not take a liking to him. They could not figure out how to say his name. They worked at it for a good ten minutes, and still could not get it right. I told them that I had changed my name to Wangero Leewanika Kemanjo. They could not see why I needed to change my name. That I needed to make sure that my name was not given to the people who enslaved my people. This is a very simple concept but Mamma and Maggie cannot understand. We all went to eat a meal just after we got there. My boyfriend told them of his religious views on pork and collards. You would have thought that he was an alien. They could just not see how any religion would think that pork was dirty. They are just such closed minded people. I really was hoping that they would have changed some since I had left. I then went to go and collect some of the thing from Mammas house that I need for back at home. The first thing I got was the top of the churn. My Uncle Buddy carved it out of tree that we use to have. I also took the dasher that my uncle also carved to. After we finished our meal I went to find some more things to decorate my house. I got two great quilts from the chest in front of Mamma’s bed. They were the most beautiful things that I have ever seen. Mamma wanted me to take some other quilts that had been made using a machine. I wanted something that had been worked on by bare hands. She would just not see the value in this. She then went on to tell me that she had promised to give the quilts to Maggie. She does not understand that Maggie will just use them and not try and preserve them. Mamma then told me that Maggie knew how to fix quilts and would make the quilts last. I then had to leave because they were not listening to what I had to say. I gave Maggie a kiss good bye. I told her to make something of her life, and then I left. I just hate how close minded they are. They cannot see anything that is new or different.
Sunday, February 17, 2008
Dee's view
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment