Wednesday, February 27, 2008

My Writing Process

My writing process is not very complicated, but it is very systematic. For almost every paper I have to write, I use the same process. I adjust this process to fit the specific requirements of the paper. For bigger assignments, I set aside more time than I would if I was writing a short reflection. I try to start far enough in advance to make sure that I do not become rushed and be able to complete the task to the best of my ability.
The first step in my writing process is to sit down and read over the directions of the assignment. After I have a thorough understanding of what I am writing about, I grab a piece of paper and a pen and draw out a web. I start with one general idea and then draw more specific details and ideas from that. Once I have completed the web, I start the next step of my writing process, which is writing an outline. I take the different branches of the web and place them into the appropriate sections. I place these sections into an order that makes the most sense. I try to find some appropriate facts and details about what I am writing about and figure out how I want to incorporate them into the paper. At this time, I take a short break to relax a little bit and then begin to write my paper with the sounds of my iPod in the background.
Once I have completed a first draft, I stop working to relax my mind and to keep it fresh. I return after this break to review my work. I correct any errors I see, delete anything that should not be there, and add anything that may possibly contribute to this paper. I walk away from the paper one last time and then return to read it one last time. Once I am satisfied with my work, I print it out, staple it, and hand it in.
Obviously for different types of papers, a different approach is needed. I try to think of the most creative way to write a paper, but not have it suffer from lack of information. I’ve found that the more time I put into a paper the more creative it is. I must put all of my effort into it to make sure that it reaches its potential. It must be well thought out, creative, and be able to get the point across to the reader in the clearest way as possible.

No comments: