Thursday, February 14, 2008

Independence

Independence is a quality acquired as an individual grows up. I feel that I have become more independent ever since I started college because I have now had to figure out things for myself. Independence is being on your own and learning from experiences. I have always been taught to take every opportunity that I am able and learn something from each of them.
Dee’s sense of independence is nothing in relation to mine. She finds that she has to alienate herself from her family, change her name, and act superior to gain independence. No one in Dee’s family has been able to get an education, so I think that adds to her sense of independence. Since she is the only one who has been able to attend school, therefore thinks she knows more than her sister and even her own mother; she thinks she can live better. She feels that independence can only be gained from being alone, so she moved to an apartment and rarely ever sees her family. A mature, responsible, and independent person would never forget about their family; everyone learns from their family, which in turn adds to gaining independence. Dee also felt the need to change her name; I think not only to prove she is independent, but also to prove her individuality. She has no idea that her name holds great family history, and in an effort to get closer with her family roots she changes her name. She is very arrogant and unaware of family values and only cares about being an independent young woman. She uses her idea of independence and puts her family down. She confronts her sister, Maggie, and Mama and tells them that they should live better, that no one would know they were decent people because of the way they live. I would never put my family down the way Dee did.
I have gained my independence from experiences and relationships that I have had over the past few years. When I was younger, I always thought I could tackle any problem on my own, but it was never true. I have also gained my independence from the knowledge my parents have given me and the experiences of others. It takes a great amount of time to find independence, and although I am on my own now, I still feel like I have a good amount of growing up to do. I have learned so many things since I have been at college. I have learned that I have to do everything and anything to take care of myself and work hard on my grades. Independence also comes with consequences. I feel that being independent calls for a responsibility, which also comes from being mature. Overall, independence can be asserted through learning, family, experiences and relationships.

No comments: