Sunday, February 10, 2008

Peer Review

Peer review is an important step in the writing process. It is amazing how much a paper can change when it is read by someone else. I believe that peer review should be a part of everyone’s writing process. Whether it is grammar or sentence structure it is much easier for mistakes to be seen by someone else, this is why peer review is so important.

When I have any of my writing peer reviewed I believe it makes my writing much better. I seem to overlook many problems in my writing when I read it myself. Other people catch many little flaws in someone else’s writing easier than the writer could see themselves. Often times other student’s know how the teacher grades and are able to help make a paper fit the criteria. Overall it is a big help to have a paper peer reviewed.

If I were to be in charge of peer review I would only change a few things. Rather than having each person only read one or two other people’s paper, I would have three or more people read each paper. I believe this would benefit everyone’s paper because it would give more than one opinion about how a paper should change. This would also take out the bias factor of the reviewer and make the paper better in the end. It may even be beneficial to take more than one class time to review papers. Spending more time reviewing would most likely make the paper better in the end.

Peer Review is probably one of the most important parts of the writing process. It is when the paper gets perfected and becomes the final product. The addition of someone else’s opinion can turn a bad into a great one. The more time spent on peer review, the better the paper may become. It is easy to overlook your own problems, but a little time spent working with someone else can make a huge difference in the end.

No comments: