Friday, February 15, 2008
Independence
My independence like Dee’s started before I even left to come to college. Ever since I turned 16 I had a job and I took on the responsibilities of paying for things such as my clothes, and anything extra that I wanted with the money made from my job. The most satisfying purchase was the car that I have bought that would not have the same amount of pride in driving it if I had just let my parents buy it for me. Unlike Dee, I still respect my parents because they are the ones who taught me how to survive in the world that we are living in. I am the person today because of all the things my parents taught me. Even though I disagree with them on many issues such as how late I was allowed to stay out, they were still my parents and even when I did not agree with them, I still respected them. This is the main difference that I see between Dee’s independence and mine. While both my parents are college graduates, I feel like I do know some more about the world that I will be entering in, mainly on a technological front. However, even though my mom can hardly do anything on the computer besides type in Word and check her e-mail, I still respect her for the things she taught me that going to most public schools don’t teach, such as how to survive while living on your own. I have been doing my laundry since I graduated from 5th grade, and I know how to cook simple meals without recipes and more complex meals as long as I have directions. The things that they teach me that led to my independence had taught me to respect my parents and this is where I believe that Dee went wrong in become independence in that she became so arrogant she forgot where she came from.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment