Thursday, February 7, 2008

Time for some football

Superbowl Sunday. One of the top programs watched worldwide. Everyone is hoping for a day or burly men beating up on each other in hopes of getting a ball across a line America’s great pastime, but nowadays its come to much more. Superbowl Sunday has also come down to airtime. Industries across America have realized that the easiest way to get their message into the consumer’s home is being right in their face on the day that most people are tuned in. Whether it’s a comical commercial about an “ugly Betty” rubbing peanut oil under her pits to the classic Budweiser Clydesdales marching triumphantly everyone is trying to get the same message across, “I’m the best so buy me.” Which one did it for me this year? None really in particular, I feel that commercials nowadays have come down to making the most comical, or thought provoking rather than actually saying this is our product and this is why it’s awesome. A good majority of America does enjoy the football game itself but on the same page it’s well known that this day of days provokes companies to take off the gloves and put on their creative hats. The classic Budweiser commercials are the perfect example of this. Companies really have to dig deep on that television Sunday; after all it does cost around 3 million dollars for a 30 second clip to make you remember what their product name is let alone what it does. This year I found the Gatorade commercial one of the best of the year. Yes it was rather stupid it was nothing more than a black Labrador drinking from a water bowl, sloshing through it messily, but I thought to myself hey I like dogs and the noise its making is pretty funny. The commercial seemed to go on much longer than necessary which is really what made it hilarious. The commercial itself really had nothing to do with Gatorade at all other than the 3 second snippit at the end with the bottle next to the dog and maybe a slick line having to do with hydration… I don’t really know; that’s the beauty of it. I know it was a Gatorade commercial, and I remember the dog, really they did their job. The task of marketers is for an individual after the fact to be like hey that was funny and so-and-so did that. To leave you thinking about their company is a world of difference. Overall this year I thought it was a little sub-par for Superbowl commercials but at least one memorable commercial stuck with me. Hey and not to mention the game was awesome as well… always a bonus.

No comments: