Tuesday, February 12, 2008

My Independence

Now that I have been in college for a semester and a half, I have come to realize that I am becoming a very independent person. It is not like it was back at home where my parents ensured that I went class every morning and got my homework done. At home, I had a set schedule and I had people to make sure that I kept to it. Now that I am at college, my responsibility for myself has been turned upside down. I have to promise myself that I will go to class and put forward a hundred percent. I must structure homework time, or else it will not get done. There are so many new responsibilities that I have had to take on just like the rest of my classmates. In the same sense, Dee has become much more independent. She is dressed differently and she is going to school. She brought her boyfriend home to meet her family. Although, she has been out on her own, she has come back home to somewhat use her family and their heritage. Dee has undergone a change in her life where she does not want her heritage roots because that is who she is, she wants to be associated with it because of the trend value to it. The old fashioned handmade quilts have now come of value to her because they are in style out in the real world.
Dee’s independence has changed her, but not for the better. When I look at myself, I feel that I have matured exponentially since arriving at school in August. I have changed for the better. I am a person that does not need to rely on so many people to keep up with everything. I have become financially responsible for myself as well. Everything comes into prospective when the cost of it all comes into play. Dee has seen this too, but she thinks that since she can take care of herself, she is somehow better than the rest of her family. When reading the selection, one realizes why Dee kept the house in all of the photos that she took. She wants to be able to display the conditions and the place that she grew up in so that she can feel even more successful than she is. As a college student, Dee and I have absorbed some of the same types of independence, but she is way off on the values of that independence. I feel like I am off and school and I am here to better myself. College right now is my nine to five job. It is so important that I do well here so that I can be as proud as my parents will be of me. Dee on the other had has come back home, not to visit her family, but to reap the heritage from her home. She feels as if her independence is because she has become more successful than her mom and sister. This is just not the case, she has become ignorant to the fact that her family will always be a part of her and that it is imperative that she knows this.
I believe that independence is a thing that grows with age and the responsibilities that are presented to each individual. I think that I have become a very independent person that is growing everyday that I am here at school. I still have family back home and unlike Dee, I will not forget this and attempt to leave them in the dust behind me.

No comments: