Thursday, February 7, 2008

Beware of the Squirrel

The Superbowl is always one of the most watched televised events every year repeatedly. This year’s game featured the then undefeated New England Patriots and the underdog New York Giants. Almost everyone I knew wanted the Giants to win because the Patriots were undefeated and most people just like the underdog team to win, or they just plain hate the New England Patriots. Throughout the whole game there are many commercials, all of which are trying to be the most memorable for the Superbowl audience to see. The main job of the commercials are to try and convince people to buy their product and they are doing so by trying to be the most remembered commercial, rather it is the most funny, biggest celebrities appearances, or just plain entertaining to watch. At the end of the game, the New York Giants won, which I was stoked about which topped off a good three hours of watching football and some hilarious commercials. However, I must say they were not as good as last year’s overall, but there were still some high quality commercials.
To me, the most persuasive commercial was the commercial for Bridgestone tires where the squirrel sees a acorn in the middle of the road and goes out on the road to retrieve the acorn, little did the squirrel know that a car was coming fast at him and screams, then it goes through a series other forest animals screaming as well, including a raccoon, an owl, a bunny, a mouse, a turtle, a deer, and other squirrels fearing the life of the little squirrel. Then the driver looks over at his wife puzzled while she has screaming because of the squirrel in front of the car, and then the man simply maneuvers around the squirrel with a close up of the Bridgestone tires at work and that was the end of the commercial. This commercial was persuasive because it keep my attention the whole time because of the screaming creatures, as well as the close up view of the tires maneuvering around the squirrel, and after the car goes around the squirrel, the squirrel just wonders on back into the forest. This makes me want to buy those tires because I never want to hit squirrels or any other animals that come across me when I am driving so these appeal to me so I feel like I have a better chance of missing an animal in the road. The commercial showed the tires at work very well and it was well done because it was a close up and showed exactly how the tires moved. Also, an important part of commercial are to keep the viewers attention and they did so by sounds of screaming; anytime anyone hears screaming they automatically looked, so therefore the commercial was brilliant in keeping the attention of the audience at hand. I really enjoyed watching all the commercials as well as the game, however this commercial for Bridgestone tires stuck out the most to me so I chose to pick it as the most persuasive commercial.

No comments: