I have always been taught that a piece of writing is never fully complete. There are always errors, corrections, and perfections to be made. People either hate or love the concept of peer review; I however am in favor of it. I am more than willing to be given suggestions to better improve my writing and I learn so much from other people’s comments.
I think an interesting way to construct a peer review class would be almost like a public speaking course. I feel like I learn a lot about a person’s writing when I am able to read it aloud, and I tend to catch more mistakes when I do. I would definitely have the students read their work aloud just to get a sense of how people besides themselves write. I find it interesting to see how people formulate responses and I love to give people suggestions and compliments for their work. I feel like misunderstandings throughout a piece of writing can be found more easily when read aloud. Personally, I always read my papers aloud to one of my friends or peers just so I can get suggestions and catch myself on little mistakes.
If I was able to design my own class, I would give each individual the chance to get their paper reviewed at least three times. The more suggestions given would result in a more complete paper; whatever you consider to be complete. Writing is a process over time, so I would spend more class time perfecting grammar and learning how to catch mistakes. I would definitely focus on tight writing and deleting words that are not needed because I know I tend to do that when I write. Overall, I think I would just stick to the basics. I would make sure that everyone would be open to suggestions and not take offense to too many corrections.
Peer review is so important and I feel like some students do not take advantage of it as much as they should. I know that I tend to get bored with reading papers, but I would rather have more people give me suggestions and make corrections than get a bad grade on a paper. I honestly usually look at one paper, just because my peers tend to do the same. I think everyone just needs to make the effort to move around and get different people to read their papers every time. I feel like I always have the same people read my papers and I am not getting as many suggestions and corrections as I would like and also that I most likely need. I do not think anything is wrong with our peer review process now, but I do think it is up to the students themselves to get out of it what they want. The more students put in the more they will get out of it.
Monday, February 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment