I try not to make my writing process too complicated. I begin first by brainstorming, in this paper I reread the text assigned a few times to better understand what the author is trying to say. While brainstorming I think of many aspects of the text including the author, characters, plot, and theme. With each of these aspects I try to pick out what is most important. Typically making a list or a web, such as the one we did in class today, is helpful. This allows me to plan out my thoughts and organize my paper.
After brainstorming, I typically reread the text once more to find quotes and details that I want to incorporate. It is best for me to already have these picked out so that I can write my paper in one sitting, rather then spend time searching for information in the text. I take these quotes and details and put them on a paper in order to have them all in one place. At this time I like to write an outline of my paper. This is a second step in my writing process because I have already gathered my thoughts in the web but now I can put them in order to allow them to flow together smoothly.
The next step is drafting. Within this step I choose to write my body paragraphs first, this gives me time to think about a strong introduction and conclusion. Knowing this paper is argumentative I try to incorporate some persuasive language in order to have the reader see my point of view and convince them that my argument is credible and accurate. While drafting I go back to my sheet with all my quotes on it and work them into my paper, I always feel that it is best to have at least one quote in each body paragraph. I feel this allows for a strong argument backed up with evidence. At the end of my first draft, I decide on my introduction and conclusion. I look for a strong hook also to begin my paper.
After my first draft is complete, I go back and read my work. Usually I am not satisfied with what I have accomplished and therefore take time to think about the improvements I could make. I decide whether sentences sound awkward or are not valuable to the paper. Often times, I find better words to enhance the paper I am trying to write. I also like to have someone else read the paper in order to find out their opinion. They often will say it is or is not convincing enough and needs more evidence. Once I have looked over my paper a couple times I go back and try to strengthen it.
Finally once I feel that I have written as much as I can on the subject to fully answer the question at hand, I print off a copy, read it over to look for minor mistakes and any other errors that I may have missed. Once I cannot find any more I decide that my paper is satisfactory and print off my final copy to hand in.
Monday, February 25, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment