Response to #1
In the text that we read in class, “Everyday Use,” Dee is asserting her independence in many different ways. This can be compared to what I am experiencing by applying my own independence in college.
First off, Dee left her home and went off to college and became very different from her family and heritage. She changed her name because she wanted to dissociate from her family and be independent of them. Dee did not like that her name reminded her of her childhood. Dee also returned from college in a very different manner.
She returned home in a car and got out of the car with extremely flashy clothing. This is different from what her sister and mom were wearing. They were wearing overalls because they worked on the farm. Dee made it look very obvious because she arrived in a new car that her sister and mom probably could never have and the same can be said with the clothing Dee was wearing.
Dee also returned home with a man and expected everyone to treat her as if she was the best of them all. Dee also, wanted to take the quilts that belonged in the family. Dee asserted her independence in a forceful manner towards her sister and mom. When reading the text, I felt horrible for Dee’s mother and sister for the way that she acted towards them. I always learned that you should be nice to your family even if you don’t get along with each other. This is how Dee asserted her independence from her family.
Dee is experiencing independence just like I am experiencing independence but in a much different way. I am learning how to be independent on my own without losing family ties or family values/traditions. I enjoy being around my family, unlike Dee. To assert my independence to my family, I have to take responsibility for all of my actions. I go to every class, I take care of my body, I take care of all of my possessions, and I make sure to keep in touch with my family at home. I have to make serious choices such as if I should go to class, class schedules, how I participate in activities on campus, and also to make uninfluenced decisions. This is how I make sure I am being responsible and also showing my independence away from home.
Dee asserts her independence extremely from the way that I assert my independence. She wants to be away from her family and to be extremely different from them at all costs. On the other hand, I assert my independence very differently from Dee does. This goes to show that people like to be different or like to keep their family close to them. I feel that asserting your independence depends on how you want to live your life and also how you want other people to view who you are.
Thursday, February 14, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment