Monday, February 11, 2008

Gaining Independence

In Alice Walker’s “Everyday Use,” Dee is a very dominant individual who chooses to take control of her life. She is a dynamic character who drastically changes her identity in order to make something of her life. As a college student, I posses similar characteristics that Dee exhibits that lead to her independence, including determination; however I feel that Dee lacks a sense of responsibility.

Dee is a very driven girl who is determined to escape her hometown. She dreams of nice things, but her family cannot afford her style of living. After seeing the life her mother lives, Dee knows she wants something better. Dee decides she wants to lead a separate life from her family, for they are holding her back. By the age of sixteen, “Dee had a style of her own: and she knew what that style was” (3). In addition, her mother raised money with the local church so that Dee could receive an education. She went to school in Augusta so that she could learn to read. This shows Dee’s control in the family. Her poor sister Maggie does not demand nice dresses or attention; however, Dee knows what it takes to get out in the real world. Dee ultimately reaches her goal and leaves her family, yet stops by to visit occasionally. Dee’s determination to succeed helped her reach her goals.

As a college student, I feel determination is a necessity in order to become successful. Like Dee, I feel it is crucial for students to set goals and aspire to reach them. As we gain our sense of independence, we have more choices to make. College requires self motivation, for in most classes I push myself to complete assignments in order to keep up with the material. As Dee exhibits determination, she has a greater chance of accomplishing her goals. I think perseverance is key, because one has to be determined to try new things and to never give up!

Throughout the story, it appears that Dee neglects her family. Although she successfully escapes her home life, I think Dee is irresponsible. Family members deserve to be treated with respect and love. As Dee moves away, she begins to alter her identity, including her name. She changes it to “Wangeroo” and begins to disown her culture. I feel she is disrespectful and hurtful to her family. For example, as she pulls up to the house, Maggie begins to run away. She is scared of her because she insults her by saying things like: “Maggie’s brain is like an elephants” (7). In addition, it appears she only comes home to take things from her family. Dee attempts to take the quilts from her family, even though it is the one things Maggie wants.

Although it is sometimes difficult, I try to maintain my independence by demonstrating responsibility. I am responsible for my actions and I feel that I am responsible in my classes, with my friends and with my family. I enjoy visiting home, and I try to maintain close contact with my family. Through e-mails, phone calls, and letters we stay in touch and I enjoy hearing from my parents. I have really enjoyed gaining a sense of independence at college, and I love living on my own; however, I still think there is no place like home!

No comments: