Sunday, February 3, 2008

Daily Life

Dear Journal,
Today was pretty much just like any other day. I was woken up early because I could hear the neighbors arguing as usual, and I just couldn’t fall back asleep. I went down stairs because I was really hungry and I wanted to have some breakfast. I searched in all the cabinets in our kitchen but I couldn’t find much. I went in my mom’s room because I wanted to know where the food was. She told me that she would go to the grocery store today and for me to just look around the house and there should be some food in the house. I knew that she was just being hopeful. I knew that there was no food because last night I searched all over the house while she was gone at work and I couldn’t find anything. Hopefully she will actually go to the grocery store today, but I don’t think she ever has any money right now, so I don’t know how she is going to get groceries.
After talking to my mom, I went and got ready for school. I put my shoes on, washed my face, and headed out the door. I don’t have that many clothes, but my birthday is coming up soon, so maybe mom will get me some. But I won’t complain or anything if it doesn’t happen because last year mom didn’t even remember my birthday and worked the late shift. Anyways. So I walked down the block to pick up my friend Justin so that we could walk to school together. But when I got to the door, he told me that his mom was really sick today so he would have to stay home and take care of her and his other brothers and sisters. This happens a lot to him and I feel really bad, but I don’t even know why his mom is sick all the time.
So I get to school and my first class is math. My teacher is trying to teach us about multiplication but it is hard to understand because there are so many kids in my class and no one is really paying attention. I am pretty good at math so I usually sit in the front row so I can be sure to know what my teacher is trying to explain but today, the class is just out of control. My teacher gets frustrated and yells at us all and stops teaching and just sits down and reads her magazine. This happens sometimes, and I never know what to do because there aren’t any math books we can look at or anything, and we only get paper and pencils when the teacher passes them out, so I have nothing to do now in the class.
The next class I have is English. We are waiting for our books that were suppose to get here at the beginning of the year but they still haven’t come yet. I don’t think they ever will. But at least my English teacher isn’t giving up. She reads to us every day and then we discuss it. She is really strict and no one messes around in her class. Right now she is reading us Charlott’s Web and I really like it!
The rest of my day went as usual. I went to history, science, and had recess and lunch. But I didn’t have a lunch so my friend Ali shared her sandwich with me, so that was really nice of her. Then after school I played with some friends and went home around 7 went it was starting to get dark, because my mom tells me I have to. I really don’t like it here, but I have no where else to go. I know that I have to try and get out of this town, because that is what my mom always tells me. She is a good mom some of the time, but she has her weaknesses too. All I know is that I am going to try and study really hard. Because I don’t want to be like the adults I see here. I want to grow up to be an educated person, move away, and maybe one day even go to college. But no one around here does that so I will have to work really hard.

1 comment:

Nick Dolciato said...

I think that this journal entry is an accurate entry that a child from East St. Loius would write. I encompasses a lot of the many problems that the children face along with the monetary problems that the adults face. In addition to that, the author realizes that it is important to try to get out of the situation she is in. Also, the writing correctly reflects the daily journal entry that the prompt required. -A very good blog entry-