Sunday, February 10, 2008

Changes for peer review

Peer review is an important step for the writing process and most writers enjoy getting their work look over by another person for errors. In class we have a whole period for peer review in which we pass our papers around in a group so that they can be review. We are handed a sheet which tells us what to look for in the paper. We know the standards since each of us have written the paper. We try to get as many people as possible to review our papers before the end of the period and with the information gained we edit our paper.

I think that writing is more than just one peer review session since when I edit my paper I always have someone review it again. Since writing has many stages to it therefore so should the editing and peer review process. There should also be notes on the paper from the author on what things they would like the reviewer to focus on and change up. I do agree with having review with different stages of the paper. Right now we have a day to have the thesis review and then the next class the draft is looked at, however I think there should be one more step in between. This could be only a ten minute review session but just something to get a little more feedback.

If you look at the writers in the class you can tell who is strong in what aspects on the paper. Some people are really strong in the grammar parts of the paper and some better with the integration of quotes. I believe that the peer review circles need to be more dynamic. This is where each review has one strong point that they can add to the group. Then the group of about four would share the papers around the circle that way each aspect of the paper is reviewed. This I believe would cause an overall strong peer review session and overall better produce.

The class would start out by assigning the students before class to mark their paper with where they want the review to focus. Then I would have already decided the groups so that is were more dynamic. Then they would get into their groups and each review would have each reviewer would have about 10 minute to review the paper before passing it onto the each person. This would take up about the whole period of the day. Then they would be require to edit there paper before the next class period. In the next class there would be a short period for review before the next topic was covered. Then the students would have their paper due the next day date. This does seem like a lot of time that would be given to peer review but I think that is one of the most important steps to become a better writing because to know if you are improve on your writing on need lots of feedback so that you can see your errors and improve on them.

The way the class is structured now if just fine since we are getting reviews back on paper and it only takes away a little class time. The most important improvement I believe is the better group design for improved writing. Since that way people get reviewed by now is fine but it is always the same people and the groups are missed formed.

No comments: