Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Growing up

Once I got to college, I became a lot more independent because I was forced into a situation where I had to do everything on my own and could no longer rely on my parents to do a lot of things for me. I have always been a very independent person and enjoyed doing a lot of things on my own. I have also always been fairly responsible when it came to getting things done on time and taking care of things on my own. However, once I got to college I matured as I had to take on even more responsibility and independence. I now notice a lot of the things that my parents would do to help me out, that I often took for granted. This shows how important family is, and also how my independence differs from Dee’s independence.
As an independent person I take responsibility for my actions and work on understanding other people’s feelings and always take them into consideration before I act. This aspect of my independence differs a great deal from the independence that Dee has because she rarely takes responsibility for her actions and is very inconsiderate of other people’s feelings. Dee is very disrespectful to her family and especially to her mother. Dee tries to take the quilts for material gain and is constantly putting her family down because she thinks she is a lot better than them.
Through my independence, I have grown and changed a lot, but I still cherish my past as well as my heritage. Dee on the other hand, tries to erase her past through her indepedance such as when she changes her name so that she would not be reminded of where she came from as well as her family.
Even though Dee and I are both independent, we are in very different ways. Dee is ashamed and embarrassed of where she came from and thinks that she is a lot better than her family because she was able to escape the life she was born into, but I am very proud of where I came from, my family, and the person that I am today. My past is very important to me because it has made me the person that I am today and has helped me gain a lot of responsibility and independence.

No comments: