Sunday, February 10, 2008
Superbowl
Watching the Superbowl has become a tradition in my family and while I was little I used to only watch it for the funny commercials half of which I didn’t understand yet. However I would have to say that the commercials this year were subpar to what they have been in the past years. The favorite commercial of mine was for American Idol and it featured Ben Roethlisberger, the quarter back for the Pittsburg Steelers. To me this commercial was the best not just because it featured my team, but because it was funny while actually resembling the product that was being marketed. This happened because the Steelers are in the locker room before a game, and the rest of the team leaves and Ben is in the room all by himself. He then starts singing, and it sounds horrible, while imagining he is on a stage like the one on American Idol. He finally gets interrupted by a janitor, who says “I liked that song, until you ruined it.” And Ben gets a disappointed look on his face and turns to run out onto the field and writing comes up saying “Even champions can dream big”. Then you find out that it’s an American Idol commercial. This commercial featured things that all the Superbowl commercials should. It was funny, and featured somebody well known. If you are paying three million for a thirty second spot, it should be something that the consumer will remember. By actually doing something in the commercial that was recognizable to the public and featured the theme of the show, it made a very persuasive commercial. If I wasn’t already watching American Idol this season, I would be tempted to at least see what would be so great that a previous Superbowl winning quarterback would be dreaming about becoming. The only thing better then the American Idol commercial was the Giants knocking the Patriots off their pedestal and teaching them some humility.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment