Friday, February 15, 2008

Asserting My Independence

While reading “Everyday Use” I realize that Dee is someone who is always trying to be an independent person. In an attempt to achieve this she leaves for college and comes back as what she thinks is a new, unique and independent individual. Being a first year student in college there is several reasons why I could see how Dee might feel as though she is making herself autonomous, yet I still feel she lacks much respect for others.

In this story Dee is very self motivated to become a new successful person and leave her past behind her. She does not want to lead the life that her mother by working on a farm. She wants to achieve more in life and become wealthy. She has always wanted expensive things, things that her family could obviously never afford. Dee does not appreciate what her family has to offer her and acts as though she is better than them. She acts like she is in complete control of everyone in her family and treats them poorly. Rather than coming back and being grateful for having a mother who raised money for her to go to College she is still rude to her. Though she has achieved what she wanted she has lost all respect for the people who love her.

When heading to College I figured I would become a more mature independent person. When being at school there is certain expectations a student must meet. One of these expectations is being your own independent self motivator. When being a College student there is no one to blame but yourself for your mistakes or the troubles you get into. To achieve greatness in the academics of College one must make strides towards greatness in and out of the classroom. This in turn pushes young adults to become much more independent and able to accomplish things on their own. We all want to be successful, but to become successful you cannot be solely dependent on other people.

Heading to college was my way of asserting my independence. My parents supported the decision I made in leaving for school and couldn’t be happy with how it has formed me to become a more mature individual. Though it isn’t as radical as Dee’s way of going about it, there is definitely a noticeable change in my habits. I am more independent because I am much less reliant on other people to do things for me like washing my clothes or cooking me dinner. It has made me a stronger and better educated individual. To assert your independence you do not necessarily need to do something extravagant, it can be small things such as doing household choirs without being asked. Asserting your independence is simple, just take some responsibilities.

No comments: