Friday, February 22, 2008

My Argumentative Paper

This paper was harder for me to complete. I felt that this one was harder than the literacy narrative, because with the literacy narrative, it was pretty much a basic story of a significant event that happened in my life. That paper was the highest grade I have received so far, but I was also pretty impressed with this paper. I wrote a paper like this one last semester and it really seemed to be the exact same concept and criteria throughout.

Some strengths with this paper were my strong thesis that I provided in my introduction paragraph and wrapped up in my conclusion. I believe that with any paper, the thesis statement is very important, because it provides for the basis of what the paper will be about. My organization was another thing that was strong. I used the exact order that was stated in the rubric and provided enough information to conclude my organization. My sentence structure and grammar was also exact, with very few mistakes.

The weaknesses that consisted of my paper were the content. Some points that I made were not very argumentive and I should have made them a bit clearer. Along with my thesis, I realized after receiving this paper back that I did not accurately connect my claims to the thesis. This situation also happened with my paper, so I am assuming I did not really fix my mistakes, by not connecting to my thesis again. If I ever have to write another argumentative paper again, I will consider looking over one of these papers and using the additional comments that are provided.

I definitely agree with the comments that were left in the margins of my paper and at the very end of the paper. After reading the comments over, I was able to clearly identify the points where I did not connect back to my thesis based on these individual claims. My clarity could also have been a bit stronger, so for the next paper similar to this, I will try and be clearer. The one comment that was positive reinforcement for me was the, “good thesis,” because it made me really see what a good thesis I actually came up with and also the fact that it was in line and fit the rest of my paper and what it would be about. Overall, there were some very good points and claims that I made throughout my paper, but the one thing I’ll remember for next time is to make some of them a bit more argumentive. I was very pleased with the comments that were made and can learn from them.

No comments: