Peer reviewing has to be one of the most essential parts of the writing process. It is important to let others read your writing for various reasons. One reason is mainly because you cannot find all the little mistakes you have in your paper. The language you use may not be appropriate or it might not make sense to other people although it makes sense to you. By letting someone else review it, they can help you change your language so that it makes sense to everyone else reading it. Also, peer review helps get others perspectives on if the writing is to your best ability.
If I was in charge of peer review I would have to slightly change some things. First I would make the process a little bit longer by adding a step. I would have the person who wrote the work to get in a group with three other people. I would have that person read their work out loud so that they can see if it makes sense for themselves to read it out loud to others. That way they can correct their own mistakes and minimize the errors to their next paper. Then I would have each of the other individuals re-read the writing and make their own corrections then. Each member would receive a peer review sheet so they can explain in more detail about what should be changed and give a brief explanation as to why they believe so. This way there is a lot more feedback about the writing, although it will take up a great deal of time.
If I had to design a peer review class it would be a lot like how I would change the peer reviewing. The class would be dedicated to finding out and understanding what mistakes you made so that you could remember the mistakes for the next paper you write. After the students would write a paper, they would come to the class and get into groups of four. Each student would read their paper out loud so that they could find their mistakes on their own. Then each of the students would pass around their papers reading everyone else’s paper. They would make corrections and on a separate piece of paper explain why they need to change what they did. They would also make sure all the criteria for the paper was found in the one that they were reviewing. The students would also have a space to be able to write what they think the other student could do in order to make the paper better. This way each student can get a lot of feedback from others and be able to perfect their writing skills.
Peer review is a main part of the writing process and cannot be overlooked. Everyone should take peer reviewing seriously because you know you would want other students to really give their feedback to help you write the best paper possible. The peer review part of the writing process is the part that will help perfect the paper.
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment