Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Understanding Problems

After writing my argumentative paper I felt that I had a good argument that was clear and concise. I felt that I had used my sources correctly and I felt that they made my argument stronger. After I received my paper back I was surprised by the grade that I had gotten. I felt that the grade did not match up with my thoughts on my paper. I felt that I had done better than I did. However as I read over the comments I began to see the mistakes that I had made and it only lead me to begin thinking of ways to fix my mistakes.

As I read over my paper and looked at the comments that were left in the margins I mostly understood all of them. I agree with most of the comments left in my paper; most of them are asking to explain further and introducing citations, which I completely agree with. I understand that my argument would be stronger if I explained exactly what I mean. Some of the other comments leave me slightly confused; I understand the comment, but I do not know how to fix the problem. I try to come up with a solution, but it doesn’t feel like it would fit into my paper. I have been going back and forth with many of the problems, trying to find the best way to correct them. A lot of my possible corrections do not seem to flow in the paper. This is the difficulty I am having in making my paper better.

I believe that my paper has many strengths and some weaknesses as well. I believe that the article that I found as my second source makes my argument much stronger. There was a lot of information in that article that dealt directly with my argument and reinforced it. Although I have these strengths, I do however have a few weaknesses. My introduction is the weakest part of my paper. I had trouble coming up with a thesis that dealt with everything in my paper. I believe this is my biggest problem and I am having a very hard time trying to think of how I could have made the introduction better. This seems to be the biggest weakness in all of my papers and I believe after some time and practice the introductions will begin to become stronger.

Although I was surprised to receive the grade that I did, I am turning this into something positive. I believe that this will make me review my paper and question whether it has explained everything to the fullest and whether everything is the best it possibly can be. This will lead me to work harder to improve my papers in the future. I believe that if I would have changed only a few mistakes before turning it in I would have received the grade that I thought I was going to get.

No comments: