Saturday, March 1, 2008

My Writting Process

My Writing Process
Before writing a paper, I think that it is very important to find a way to lay out all of your idea and options in regard to your topic. I don’t always use the same way of prewriting, but I usually decide upon the three main topics that I want to discuss and then look through the text and identify the different parts that support my views and opinion. In high school, I was taught to use majors and minors which have a lot of benefits when trying to organize a paper and make sure that you have enough supporting evidence. When using majors and minors, you I identify three major ideas, which are the body paragraphs, and then three minors or supporting evidence for each of the three bodies.
The process that I use worked out well in this paper, but I had to change it a little bit to address the audience and incorporate more of my own opinion. Another idea that helped me write my paper is that I first wrote the thesis and then wrote the body paragraphs and then proceeded to write the intro paragraph last. This helps to make a better thesis because after writing the body paragraphs, the direction and main idea of the paper is already determined.
It was a little bit more difficult to use my writing process in the paper because I analyzed the poem, “A Dream Deferred,” by Langston Hughes because it was difficult to use textual support to back up my ideas, it was more of my interpretation of the text. So, for this paper, I didn’t have to go back through the text to find instances that support my ideas and thoughts because the poem was very short.
After writing out the paper, I go back and check it for errors such as grammar and sentence structure as well as making sure that I have made transitions between paper. I am definitely going to continue to use this method in the future because it has been very successful for me so far. Another idea that I like and am going to use in the future for prewriting is the web, which is an activity that we did in class. I liked this idea because it helped put all of my ideas out on paper as well as connect the different ideas.

No comments: