After reading all four stories in the Humanity Based Text I found out many new things. There were a lot of things that expanded my knowledge on topics I knew little about and also taught me about completely new things. The two stories I found the most knowledgeable were Savage Inequalities and Translations.
I knew that there were a lot of things wrong in the U.S. but I never knew how wrong they were. I never realized how stricken with poverty people in the U.S were. I figured since all of our efforts seem to go over sea’s to help people, we did not have many people in poverty here. Savage Inequalities was a very good book to read for me because it taught me something that I knew nothing about. I found out how people in East Saint Louis were stuck in a place that will never prosper unless someone on the outside helps them. I like learning things like this because it could someday affect me. I felt deeply for these people because I could not believe that the US would let something like this happen, especially when we could very easily help them.
The other story I really enjoyed was Translations. I really like this story because it taught me about what the Irish had to deal with because of the English. I could not believe they had to deal with the people making them change the names of everything around them. I knew nothing about this before I read the story. I like learning things in history because it makes me feel a lot more educated on things that happen in the world. Overall this was a very confusing story but it was sill one of my favorites. It was really great learning new history about another country.
As you can probably tell I really did like reading the Humanity based text. It was enjoyable for me because I really enjoy learning knew things. I was shocked by some of the stories I read but at the same time I found them very interesting. I would definitely suggest this reading for the upcoming freshman class because if they like learning new things then they will enjoy this book.
Sunday, March 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment