One of my favorite things to do when I was younger was to go grocery shopping with my mom on Sundays. My younger brother and I would always go together and ask for all the junk food we could reach. This grocery store, “Rene-Regos” was a five minute drive from my house. It was located in a plaza which contained a Blockbuster, Baskin Robins, Best Cuts, Subway, and a Starbucks. Sometimes we were allowed to walk and get ice cream if we were getting impatient in the store, or just becoming obnoxious to my mother. The Rene-Regos sign was a bright fire engine red right above the automatic slide doors. The 24 hours picture development stand was to the immediate left of the entry way. The produce filled the right side wall and middle entry way. The ice cream, cheese, yogurt and bread were on the last isle to the left.
The bakery was m favorite section. I would follow my mom through the boring part of shopping for fruits and vegetables because I knew after we followed the bend of greens around the corner, the cookie stand would be waiting for me. The lunch meat counter was next to the cookie stand. I would wait in line behind a line of adults, often getting skipped because I was only a child and the rude adults would not say anything, and I would ask for a chocolate chip cookie. The days when they were freshly baked were the best, but even when they weren’t, a free cookie is always good because it’s free. As I grew up, the shower/lotion/make up isles became my favorite. I was obsessed with buying different smelling shampoo each time and wasting money of different ugly eye shadows and lip glosses.
A few years ago, they changed the name from Rene-Regos to “Giant Eagle”. The red Rene-Regos was replaced by an enormous green “Giant Eagle” in a different font. The inside of the grocery store was like a whole new world to me. The floor was now covered in a tan/orange tile replacing the white and green laminate type floor that Rene-Regos had put down. The checkout lines were extended with “Do it yourself checkout” lines which I came to appreciate as I got older and needed to run small errands there. Giant Eagle also added the Eagles Den and Eagle Video. The Eagles Den was a place for parents to keep their young children, no one older than 6 I think, while they shopped. The Eagles Den had board games, movies, books, stuffed animals, coloring books and employees as babysitters.
When the grocery story that I was so familiar with changed its name, it lost the identity of Rene-Regos. I think the change to Giant Eagle was an upgrade from Rene-Regos. I’m glad that the change happened when I was younger because it allowed me to adapt to the changes without much confusion. For a few months I remember calling Giant Eagle by its own name but because my family goes there so often and the change happened when I was little, I have grown to love Giant Eagle and continue to call it by its proper name.
Monday, March 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment