My writing process for the argumentative paper and the literary analysis paper was very similar. I find the papers easier to write if I have a thorough understanding of the text. I begin by reading the texts carefully and taking notes and annotating. I try to point out key quotes and ideas from the texts to incorporate into my papers. After I read the texts, I read the instructions for the paper and I highlight the things that need to be done. I usually read the instructions several times to make sure I know what it is I am asked to do.
After reading everything carefully, I skim through the texts once more pointing things out that I will use in the paper. I brainstorm by writing any ideas that come to mind on a piece of scrap paper. I then sort through these ideas and pick out the ones that I like. I create an outline using these ideas as broad points. I then go back to the text and skim, gearing my thoughts towards the ideas that I have in mind. I write down under the main points notes I have made in the text and quotes I have highlighted. I make a thorough outline so I can write the paper fairly fast.
Usually after I write the outline, I take a day or two break from thinking about the paper. When I come back to write it, I have a fresh mind and sometimes I have new ideas that I want to use. I want to get the rough draft done in one sitting, so I usually go to the library and I do not leave until it is done or close to it. After I finish typing the draft, I take a break from it like with the outline. I come back and read it with a fresh mind. This helps me because I am not so engrossed in the paper that I lose sight of the point or direction of the paper. When I read through the paper I fix any awkward sentences and grammar mistakes. I may also add more examples from the text to create a more in-depth paper. I also find peer review to be extremely helpful because things that I may miss are pointed out be another person. Then, taking feedback from the peer review I formulate my final draft and read through it once more.
My writing process was the same for both the argumentative paper and literary analysis paper. The process worked well and I thought that both my papers turned out to be good. Also, by making a thorough outline the actual papers were quite easy to write. I enjoy writing in this way and it suits my style of thinking. I like to construct logical and well thought out arguments that lead to a conclusion. I do not see me changing my writing process in the future. Minor changes might be good so I do not become lazy with the way I write, but right now I am satisfied with my papers.
No comments:
Post a Comment