Sunday, March 2, 2008

writing process

The writing process is unique to the writer and is developed over time by him/her. Since writing process is something that changes over the years as the writer gets to know themselves. They find what they need to start and finish their paper. Some need to start with a web some need to explore the idea by doing an outline.

My unique writing process involved many steps and sometimes can seem simple. The first step in my writing process is to reread both the text and the sheet about the paper. After I feel for what I have to do for the paper. I sometimes start with an outline if it is more of a creative paper I start with a web before an outline. I really enjoy using an outline because it feels that everything is in order and I can put quotes in it that I want to use in my paper. The next step in writing my paper is to start writing the first few pages. If I like the flow and where the paper is going I continue on with it. If for any reason I am not enjoying what I am writing. I review the paper and figure what parts need to be changed or edited. Then when I have finished my rough draft I have it reviewed by a peer and then make correction. I try to do this as much as possible so that I can get the best paper as possible. When I have a finished paper that I am proud of I turn it in and when it is returned to me I review the comments. The comments on the finished paper are very important because it helps me to understand where I need improvement before the next paper is started. It also helps me to refocus on where my strengths and weakness are.

This process was changed last semester when I discovered that peer reviewing more than once was more important. I use to only do about half an outline with only one reviewer, however last semester I decided that it need to be increased and it improved my scores on paper. This year I haven’t changed my writing style and I don’t think I will. I find that it works well with what I need and it fits me very well. Being an engineer my change my writing style only because of the research that is included with the job. As an engineer I feel that most of my time will being writing papers to get proved for the project that I wish to undertake. I think my style and process may change. It would change because I think it is more formal writing and a different audience to write towards.

Writing process is something that is important to every writer and it is something that is ever changing. Each writer needs to take time to explore that was needed for the paper and how their writing process needs to change with it. The kind of paper that you are writing defines what kind of writing process you need to use for the paper.

No comments: