When I was younger there was a restaurant that I would always go to with my whole family every Friday to get fish. It was right on the corner of a 5-way intersection which is why the name of it was Five Points Restaurant. I always loved going to eat there every Friday because it was fun hanging out with my entire family. Later on in my life this restaurant got a new owner and he changed the name of it to The Fireplace. I am not sure the significance of this name but I was not fond of the change. Though they got new owners and a new name they kept the same menu and the same employees, so to me it was still pretty much the same restaurant.
My family and I continued going there every Friday night for “Fish Fridays” because we still enjoyed the food and atmosphere they had to offer. Even though they changed the name of the restaurant everyone in my family still called this place by the same name as before. In fact if someone in my family were too referred to it by its real name, The Fireplace, most of us would wonder what they were talking about. Even though we all knew that it had undergone a name change we still didn’t really use it because it was what we had always called it.
When I sit down to think about it, I realize that there is many places that are like this; local convenient stores, movie theaters, restaurants, etc. But the people who have lived around these places still continue to call them by the names that they had originally heard them called by. It is not out of laziness or to harm anyone, it is simply because that is what people are use to. And as a new crowd of people come in the new name starts to become a little more popular. It is kind of like a way to prevent a mass amount of confusion for the people who live in these communities that around the places that changed their name.
Some of these places that change their names, such as The Fireplace, undergo these name changes to give them a new start. Rather than just carrying on the name of what the place use to be called and carrying on the legacy of that name, they want to make something new. They want to create new memories and tend to a new crowd of people. It is like starting all over again with a clean slate.
No comments:
Post a Comment