Tuesday, March 11, 2008

My Research Process

My research process begins with me asking my teacher further questions I have regarding the assignment that I am required to research. I then start by going online to find information on the specific topic I am studying. I do this by going to credible search engines such as Academic Search Complete and typing in my topic and words related to my topic. I usually try to find around five credible sites in order to determine which one that would be most beneficial in using for the assignment. I then print out these articles and go through them more thoroughly by highlighting any useful information that I could use in my assignment.
However, there are times when I cannot find adequate information online, and therefore, I go to the library for additional resources and guidance. If I am having trouble finding facts online, I usually go to a librarian and ask for their help. In most cases they can find a scholarly piece that can help me further my research. On the other hand, there are times when they are also unable to find information related to my topic. When this happens I go to the library homepage and search for books, magazines, articles, etc. that are related to my topic and try to find them throughout the library. Sometimes the text I find are located at different libraries, therefore I make sure to start my research several days before it is due in case a specific text has to be shipped to me. When I am using a piece from a library, that I am unable to write in, I write down information and quotes that could be useful to me for my assignment.
The most positive thing about doing research is the additional information I gain while searching for items related to my topic. Whenever I am doing research I become extremely informed on the topic that has been assigned to me, which gives me great insight and understanding. It also allows me to provide a credible and well-informed assignment. In addition, in many cases there are further facts that are related to my topic, though I might not use in my assignment, that I learn about through my research that I usually find very interesting.
The most negative thing about doing research is when there is little information available on the topic I am attempting to explore. This not only takes up a large amount of my time, but causes very little information to be available to use for my assignment, thus making it less credible. This also causes me to become unenthusiastic about the assignment that I am required to do the research on. In addition, a negative aspect in doing research is when I find a website that is full of information related to my topic and has several quotes that would be beneficial; however, it is not a credible website. This is extremely frustrating and causes me to become irritated throughout the rest of my research.

No comments: