When I was younger the grocery store that my family used to shop at was called Reni Rego. It was given this name due to the combined last names of the people who created the store. When I was around seven, the name of the store changed to Stop and Shop. At first my family and I continued to call this store Reni Rego because that was the name that we were most familiar with. But as we heard more and more people begin calling it by its new name, Stop and Shop, we also began calling it by this name. About eight years later, the name of this grocery store changed again and is now called Giant Eagle. At first this name sounded strange and my family and I continued to call it Stop and Shop, but eventually we began calling it by its new name as well. Because the name of a grocery store was insignificant to my family and I, I think we just called the store by whatever sounded more familiar to us. It was mainly the result of more and more people calling it by its new name that led us to start calling it by its new name. Other store or locations, on the other hand, had more of an impact on me when its name was changed, for example the stadium of the Cleveland Indians.
The Cleveland Indians’ stadium was formerly called Indians Stadium, however, when it got a new owner with the last name of Jacob, it was named Jacob’s Field. I was somewhat upset about this change because I felt that the stadium was more of a representation of the city’s entirety rather than the new owner. I feel like it’s unnecessary for people to change the name of major sports arenas in order to promote their name or for advertisement. The focus of the game should be the members playing the sport, and therefore, I believe they should be the people represented through the name of the stadium in which they are playing. Because of this, my family and I continued calling the stadium the Indians’ Stadium because we felt that its new name was senseless.
I believe that changing the name of stores and locations can affect a person depending on its relevance in one’s life. Because the name of a grocery store had little significance to me or anyone in my family, we called the store whatever sounded more common. On the contrary, when the Indians’ Stadium was changed to be called Jacob’s field, this had more of a significant impact on my family and I. We mainly felt that the stadium should represent the city as a whole and should not be named entirely on one person.
Wednesday, March 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment