The first thing that I did when I started to plan for my argumentative paper was I chose which to write about. The three choices we had to write about were “Learning to Read and Write” by Douglass, “Everyday Use” by Walker, and “A Dream Deferred” by Hughes. I was not sure which one to pick at first so I made a list of pros and cons of choosing each of the articles. I liked reading a Dream Deferred and I thought it was a very interesting poem. But I felt that there was not enough information in the poem for me to write about it for 4 to 5 pages. I liked “Everyday Use” and thought it would be easy to analyze and write about. We had analyzed it a lot in class and I felt that after analyzing both “Everyday Use” and “Learning to Read and Write” I would rather write about “Learning to Read and Write”.
I thought that my process was very well planned out and I am glad that I changed my writing process for this paper. I would normally not make a list of pros and cons to pick which article to write about, but in this case it seemed the most logical way to go about doing it. After I chose which one to write about I went back and re read the story. I wanted to make sure that I did not miss any part of the story and that I thoroughly understood it so that I could properly analyze it. After I re read the story I chose which parts of it I wanted to analyze. There was no way that I could analyze the rhetorical situation, audience, plot, characters, style, themes, context, point of view, setting, and symbolism. I knew that I had to eliminate some of them.
I decided to write about the audience, character development and plot. They seemed like the 3 biggest parts of the article and that I had enough information and examples for all of them. I started out talking about the audience because it seemed like the most logical part to start with. The audience is the main part of choosing which novel that the senior students should read. I needed to make sure that the audience for the article I picked was appropriate for the seniors.
After that I went on to talk about the character development. I think that students need to be able to analyze characters in the novel in order to grasp the full concept of the novel. The character development in the article seemed at the senior level so I chose to write about it in my paper. Lastly, I wrote about the plot of the article. The plot in the article is very important because it is a very unique article. I felt that the school board will have a better chance of picking “Learning to Read and Write” if the plot was discussed in my argument. My writing process has always been a very important part of my entire paper. Overall, I feel that I handled my process very well for this paper and if I ever had to write one again I would do it in the same way.
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment