Sunday, March 2, 2008

MY WRITING PROCESS

My writing process through both my argumentative paper and my literary analysis paper basically stayed the same. I begin any assignment by listening to my teacher and reading the first handout on the requirements of the paper. I become nothing but a listener at that time. I form no ideas or thoughts. I just listen… I listen to the prompt, the point of writing the paper, how it should be written, when it is due, why we are writing this particular paper, and the format of the paper. I feel like this is one of the biggest parts of my process in writing a paper because I am a person that really needs a good grasp and a good idea of what I am writing about in my paper because if I don’t, then I become confused and my process is slowed. In return, I rush to finish the paper and I may not even have written it correctly because I did not understand it from the jump. The most important step in starting anything in life is the first and nothing changes when it comes to my writing process.
I then begin to form my ideas and thoughts about the assignment by brainstorming. After I choose my topic or what my target of writing the paper is, then I make a web of ideas. I feel that this is the best way for me to form thoughts and ideas and make them into paragraphs. The web really is just a symbol of what my mind is thinking and going through, and what my mind connects together in terms of my ideas.
I then begin typing my rough draft. If I need to find information or cite from a source, then I will look for a source that is valid and begin typing and gaining thoughts through looking at the source. In my rough draft, I usually focus on meeting the requirements of quoting, citing, and page length. After I get my paper revised, I then focus on the abstract part of my paper in making my thoughts flow more and making corrections in grammar and sentences.
I take my rough draft into class for some peer review. This is one of the most beneficial parts in my writing process. I get to see what my weaknesses and strengths are in my paper and how I can correct those weaknesses. Allowing me to read somebody else’s paper also gives me a great idea on what everybody else’s writing format is like and I ask myself if my paper matches up to their paper in terms of alikeness in format.
After I see what my peers have to say about my paper, I usually begin on my final draft and make most of the suggested corrections given by my peers. I then begin to look at where I can make corrections in my paper that will add more identity and zest to it. I begin to add a lot of my original ideas and thoughts and do not concentrate on the basics as much as I did in my rough draft.
After I get completely done with my draft an I feel as though I have everything covered in may paper and I have wrote all my ideas down, I read over it a couple times. This allows me to evaluate my paper from the reader’s point of view- which is the only point of view that counts. If all sounds good and I am satisfied with my paper then there is only one more thing to do… print it off into a hard copy and turn it in and hope for the best!

No comments: