When I was growing up there were a lot of places that I recognized by the name. From parks to stadiums I knew most of the places that I went even when I was little. Many of the places that are around my house are named for important events in the community. Living in a small community I am surrounded by places that have a lot of meaning to everyone that lives nearby. The most recent change that has occurred was not as close to home but it was a place that I had many memories at.
This change was at the Cleveland Indians home baseball stadium. They recently changed the name from Jacob’s Field to Progressive Field. I went to many baseball games when I was younger and even attended the home run derby when it was hosted at Jacob’s Field. I have many great memories from that stadium. Although I have not recently been to the stadium I will never forget the time that I spent there. With the change in the name of the stadium I believe that it somewhat changes the history of the stadium. I believe that I will always call the Cleveland Indians stadium Jacob’s Field. It is hard to picture the stadium being the same when it is called Progressive Field. With all of the stadiums becoming so corporate it seems to change the history that is incorporated into them.
Although it is the same stadium that I have had so many memories at, I do not believe it will feel like the same stadium when I go back. This stadium in Cleveland was one of the few stadiums that did not have a corporate name and I am very disappointed that they fell into the trend. I believe that when I do go back to the stadium that I will form new memories at the newly named stadium, but I do not believe that I will associate these new memories with the old memories that I have.
No comments:
Post a Comment