My process for research is very organized and I usually make a schedule in my planner that I make myself follow, even if I do not want to. I begin the process by gaining a firm idea of the topic that I will research. If I am given a choice for a topic, I usually try to do something that I am familiar with and I have some experience with. I use a general topic to find materials for. I start by looking online for the topic to give myself a general idea of it, if it is something I am not familiar with. I then go to the library and find books on my topic using the catalog. I am not picky at this point. If a book sounds like it has useful information, I will take a look at it. I also search the databases of the library for useful journals and articles on the subject.
After I have glanced through the books and journals, I narrow my topic down. I usually narrow it down to several different points of interest. I then choose the one that I like the best and I keep the books and journals that pertain to that narrowed topic. While I read through the books, I take notes of key ideas on note cards and I label the note cards depending on which book they come from. For the journal articles, I print them off or I make copies of them. As I read through them, instead of taking notes, I highlight the key ideas.
Once I have thoroughly read all the books and articles, I make a general outline of the direction I want the paper to take. Using this outline as a guide, I make a much more detailed outline using the note cards and highlighted notes. In this outline, I list all the points of my paper and I give detailed ideas and points.
Once I am satisfied with the outline, I make a rough draft of the paper. In this draft I am not too concerned with the mechanics and grammar. The actual content is more important to me at this point. I write the rough draft over a period of a few days and I usually write in a quiet place such as the library.
After my rough draft is finished, I have it reviewed by someone. I take into account their ideas and suggestions when I write the final draft. In the final draft, I fix grammar mistakes and I reword awkward sentences. Once I have completed the final draft, I take a day or two break from the paper. I then come back to it and read it again with a fresh mind to make sure everything makes sense.
The most positive thing about doing research is learning new information and gaining a better understanding of a topic of interest. The most negative thing about doing research is the amount of time it takes to complete the paper. Sometimes it can be overwhelming, but I usually stay in good shape as long as I stay organized and on schedule.
No comments:
Post a Comment