Monday, March 3, 2008

Geauga Lake or Six Flags?

I am from Aurora, Ohio. For many years, Aurora was home to Sea World and Geauga Lake. However, when Sea World left, Geauga Lake became Six Flags. Many of the rides on the Geauga Lake were the same, but they added many new rides. Some of these new rides were X-Flight, Batman, Superman, etc. There was also a Looney Tunes Land for the younger kids. The side where Sea World used to be was turned into a water park; the entire park, including both sides, was called Six Flags Worlds of Adventure. This new name and ownership was only around for a few years. Then, the same people who own Cedar Point bought the park and changed its name back to Geauga Lake. However, this past year was the park’s last, as the park is closing down.
When the park was first changed to Six Flags, every time that I would go the park with my family or friends, or even when we would drive by, I would still call it Geauga Lake. By the time that I was use to calling it Six Flags, the name was changed back to Geauga Lake. I did notice that it was more easy to call it Geauga Lake again than it was to get use to calling it Six Flags. When the park became Geauga Lake for the second time, all of the names of the rides that Six Flags had added were changed. However, the names were so different, that I never got use to calling them by their new names. I would still call the rides by the name that Six Flags had given them.
It was weird to think of calling Geauga Lake a different name after it had been called that name for so many years. I think that part of the difficulty was that since it had been around for so many years, even my mom who grew up in the Cleveland area, had a hard time calling it Six Flags. Therefore, I think that for people who have lived in Aurora and surrounding cities, the park will always be known as Geauga Lake as it is a staple in Aurora’s identity and history. When people would ask me where I was from I would tell them Aurora, OH. Many people did not know where it was as it was a smaller town, but if I asked them if they knew where Geauga Lake or Six Flags was, they knew. I told them that that was where Aurora was!
Now that the park is closing, I think that no matter what is built in its place, that area will always be known as Geauga Lake Amusement Park.
I know that it is a long shot, but I hope that someone would build a new amusement park because it was so nice and convenient to have an amusement park so close by. It also helped the local economy as it drew business and it provided jobs to many high school students. If for that small chance there would be another amusement park, and if it had a different name, I think that I will always call it Geauga Lake. This is because that is what I knew it to be for most of my life.
While change may be hard, it is a part of life. I feel that while the name may change, or the park itself may be gone, it will always be in my memories just because I had so many times with family, friends, cousins, etc. This is because there is some sentimental value. My first roller coaster was the Big Dipper!
Has anyone else been to Geauga Lake or Six Flags? What do you call it?

No comments: