Sunday, March 9, 2008

Jacobs Field

I have been a lifelong tribe fan. When I say tribe, I mean the Cleveland Indians baseball team. When I was around 5 years old, the city of Cleveland built a baseball only stadium called Jacobs field. Affectionately knows as "The Jake". The nickname "The Jake" is so well know that even the television announcers use the nickname.
The Indians' moved to this new stadium coincided with the coming of age of an outstanding team, and the Indians soon became the hottest ticket in Cleveland. The ballpark set a major league record between June 1995 and April by selling out 455 straight games. Demand for tickets was so great that they sold out all 81 home games before opening day on three separate occasions.
. I remember going to the opening game in April and taking off school. President Clinton actually threw out the first pitch, and the Indians won, it was so exciting. At school we would have Indians day and wear Indians clothes to school during the playoffs. I have such fond memories of going to the games because my family has had season tickets to the Indians games for as long as I can remember.
Now that I am older, I go to the games with my friends when I get a chance and we all refer to It as Jacob’s Field, or the just the Jake. The Jake is a part of Cleveland history and even though the name has changed, many people including myself continue to call it The Jake.
This past January, it was announced that the Cleveland baseball stadium, Jacobs Field, affectionately known as "the Jake" would be re-named. Progressive Insurance, a Cleveland based insurance company and had bought the naming rights. The Jake stood for so much and represented so much positive change and excitement in Cleveland when it opened up. I know that I will still be calling it the Jake because that is the name I equate with the stadium. My friends and all of us Clevelanders who have been a part of the great baseball tradition since the opening of the new field will get what I am talking about. It will be a sad day when I start talking about the Jake and the other person looks at me like I am crazy. I suppose at that point, I will have to give in, but for now, I will continue calling it the Jake.

No comments: