Sunday, March 2, 2008

Writing Process

I really enjoyed writing this argumentative analysis. For me, writing papers that take a defined stance have a more specific purpose than just to describe or explain something. In this paper I did many things different than my normal writing process, but at the same time did my normal routine, which of course was nice. For this paper, I changed prewriting a bit and used a web in order to organize my paper. I found this to be very helpful and allowed me to truly analyze the character in the story “Everyday Use”. Also, after prewriting, I gathered a little bit of extra information about Alice Walker, in order to develop a better background on her so that in ambiguous situations I could develop a better stance on the characters. Also for this paper, I found myself a lot more aware of the rhetorical situation- checking to double check that I included my audience and firmly stated my argument. I also made sure to have an abundance of detail in my argument, and found myself quoting the text a lot for my defense. In addition, when I wrote this paper, I tried to construct a portion analyzing each character, followed by a section explaining the significance of that toward why it should be read and discussed. Furthermore, after my last paper, I also paid a lot closer attention to my use of MLA citations. Last time I was unsure of how to cite it and recalled something be said in class, so I did not double check it in my handbook. However, this time I checked my handbook for every question that I formulated.
In the future though, I think that I will take a different approach toward prewriting. Instead of a web, I think I may try and outline of some form. I’ve used outlines in the past, but never for an argumentative paper and I wonder if that will help to build a more sound argument. Also, for my next paper, I think that I would like to attempt to incorporate significance with each specific defense versus my paper this time which summed up on major section and why that section was significant to the discussion of “Everyday Use” in the senior English class at Shakespeare high school. I also look forward to maybe knowing the MLA citation format a little better in order to not have to use my handbook as much. But, I am afraid I may always confuse it with the other forms of citations because they seem to have a close likeness in my mind. This is definitely an area in which I need to improve in paper writing. Overall, though, I enjoyed this paper and on top of that it helped me consider my writing process and to be more aware of my rhetorical situation. If I could do it again, as cliché as it sounds, I do not think I would change the way I wrote it and how I defended my argument.

No comments: