Language definitely shapes the place in which we live. We speak English every day because that is the language of most of the people we associate with. If I did not know English it would be very hard for me to associate with friends and teachers; I would not understand anything until I was taught the language.
If I were to be raised in a different country I would obviously speak a different language. I guess it is the same for all languages, that even though the sounds and words are different, they all have the same meanings in some way. Having a different language would not be a problem, because I would need it to communicate just like I use my English Language today. I think I would relate different symbols to different objects such as road signs, and billboards.
I would one-hundred percent agree that different areas of the United States speak differently than others. I think it has a lot to do with the culture and how the people are raised. I think that language also shapes an area’s personality. The Midwest area is very relaxed and so the language is relaxed. The East and West coast I would consider to be more uptight, so their language differs very much in accords to the Midwest or the South. I consider the South to be very proper, therefore their language is very proper. Most of my family is from Michigan, so I can definitely relate to the whole “soda” and “pop” differentiation.
I would be very happy to be from a different country and speak a different language. I think it is interesting to explore different languages. One of my best friends is Lebanese, and therefore is fluent in both English and Lebanese. I think the language is absolutely beautiful, and I wish I could speak more of it. As I have been to his house many times, I get the chance to listen to the conversations him and his family has and I am able to pick up on it because I am over at their home so much. I have asked him to teach me a little bit of the language, and I know a few phrases and words. I would love to be bilingual. I think many people who are bilingual use it to their advantage in the business world. If I were to get a job that caused me to travel a great deal to different areas of the world I would definitely be open to being taught the languages of the areas in which I would be traveling to.
Sunday, March 9, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment